The coronavirus pandemic continues to upend lives and livelihoods globally plummeting economic growth in individual countries. Although the SSA region may have been spared the rate of infections recorded in advanced economies, the sharp decline in external demand for the region’s exports and tourism services has had dire consequences for the region’s economy.
There are expectations of a potential recovery in 2021 (IMF: 3.07% y/y; World Bank: 2.10% y/y), even as there has been a resurgence in COVID-19 cases globally that may require new restriction measures as there is still no verified medical solution to the pandemic.
The purpose of this webinar is to examine how feasible the anticipated recovery is, in view of the existing realities, and how the SSA region can position itself – through trade and investment – to be at an advantage during the post-COVID recovery.
The panellists will examine how feasible the anticipated recovery is, in view of the existing realities, and how Africa can position itself – through trade and investment – to be at an advantage during the post-COVID recovery.
A line up of eminent speakers, each focusing on specific regional economic blocs, will share their insights;
Keynote Address: Mr Aqib Aslam – IMF
- Ms. Chiedza Madzima (Head of Operational Risk Research/ Head South Africa) – Fitch Solutions (Southern Africa outlook)
- Dr. Atef El Shabrawy (Founder Social Innovation & Economic Adviser for the Egyptian Government) (North Africa outlook)
- Mr. Anour Hassoune (Chairman, West West Africa Rating Agency – WARA (French speaking West Africa outlook)
- Ms. Mosope Arubayi (Chief Economist – Vetiva Capital) ( English speaking West Africa Outlook)
- Mr. Kelvin Dalrymple – VP Snr Credit Officer -Moodys Investor Service ( Eastern Africa Outlook)
- Moderated by Mr Boason Omofaye – CEO Frontier Africa Reports